Bringing vehicles into circulation on the public highway


Bringing vehicles into circulation on the public highway.

Conditions for vehicles to be allowed on the public highway.

A vehicle can only be put into circulation if it is registered and displaying a number plate.

The exceptions are:

  • Vehicles used by national Defence,
  • Vehicles with trade plates,
  • Vehicles in the process of being imported or exported and used within the limits of maritime or river ports,
  • Trailers with an MAM not exceeding 750kg,
  • Agricultural or forestry trailers (except if used for hire or reward),
  • Trailers used exclusively within airports, maritime or river ports;
  • Vehicles and trailers exclusively used for folkloric events,
  • Trailers for a tourist train,
  • Building site trailers,
  • Used mopeds that were never registered (registration will be applicable in the near future - date still to be determined).

Bringing into circulation by persons residing in Belgium.

A resident in Belgium registers the vehicle they wish to put into circulation on national territory, even if it is already registered abroad.

Residence in Belgium means that this person:

  • Is registered in the population registers of a Belgian municipality (physical person),
  • Is registered in the Central Enterprise Databank (legal entity),
  • If a legal entity: formed under international or foreign law and having a permanent seat in Belgium where the vehicle is managed or used.

Exceptions for vehicles registered abroad are:

  • Vehicle that a foreign professional service provider makes available for rent to a Belgian resident, for a maximum duration of 6 months, non-renewable. (The rental contract in the name of the person who is putting the vehicle into circulation should be in the vehicle, signed and dated.)
  • Vehicle that a physical person uses in the exercise of their profession and additionally in private, made available by a foreign employer who has a work contract with this person.  (A copy of the work contract should be kept inside the vehicle, as well as a document by the foreign employer demonstrating that they have made the vehicle available to this person.)
  • A personal vehicle driven by a civil servant residing in Belgium and working for an international institution situated in an EU Member State. An accreditation card issued by the employer should be kept in the vehicle.)
  • Vehicle whose owner is temporarily absent from the population register and the foreigners' register, and that has not been parked in Belgium for more than six months without interruption.
  • Trailer put into circulation for a maximum of six months.
  • Vehicle made available free of charge to a physical person for a maximum period of one month. (A document prepared by the foreign owner should be kept inside the vehicle showing that they have given permission for the vehicle to be used for a given period, with mention of the end date.)
  • Vehicle used by a student during the actual length of their studies at an academic institution established in Belgium. (The valid certificate of their most recent registration with the academic institution should be kept inside the vehicle.)
  • The vehicle registered in another Member State in the name of the natural person who exceptionally uses this vehicle in Belgium for a maximum of 30 days per calendar year, and which is intended to be used mainly in the first Member State. A document drawn up and signed by the holder clearly stating the start and end dates of the use of the vehicle in Belgium must be kept on board the vehicle.
  • The vehicle registered in the country of origin in the name of the natural person benefiting from temporary protection under Directive 2001/55/EC and used in Belgium for the duration of the temporary protection.

Put into circulation by persons residing abroad.

A resident abroad may circulate in Belgium with a vehicle registered abroad - in an EU Member State or a State subscribing to road traffic conventions. The vehicle must display number plates as prescribed by the legislation in the State where it is registered.

The vehicle should also display the letter(s) designating the State of registration at the rear of the vehicle.

The proof of registration abroad is provided by the presentation of a foreign certificate of registration.

A resident abroad may also request temporary registration in Belgium.

How to apply for a registration?

A “registration application” form must be completed.

It has a unique barcode (box “X12”) which is the reference number of the application. The form is unilingual, but allows a registration certificate to be obtained in a national language other than that of the form.

It can be used for all types of vehicles (motor vehicles, trailers and motorbikes) and for all categories (new vehicles, used vehicles and imported vehicles).

This “registration application” form is issued :

  • by the company delivering the vehicle,
  • by the insurance company covering the civil liability,
  • by the technical control stations,
  • by the DIV itself.

Take great care with your application

Fill in the form very legibly in capital letters and with numbers that cannot be confused or misread. Enter only one letter, number or space per box. Avoid erasures, deletions and overwriting, especially with regard to the applicant's name and the chassis number of the vehicle.

Consult the pages of the section Register according to the type of vehicle to be registered.


Regulation: RD 20/07/2001 on the registration of vehicles